What You Should Do If You Are Involved In An Accident
Our dedicated Charleston attorneys can advise you
The moments immediately following a car accident are shocking and frightening. Thus, the steps you take next can make the difference in minimizing your injuries and those of the other people involved. Your decisive actions can also preserve evidence of the other driver’s negligence. Developing a plan of action in place can help you make the right decisions during a chaotic and difficult time.
Calwell Luce diTrapano PLLC helps injury victims in West Virginia recover compensation from negligent people and corporations. Our Charleston legal team steadfastly pursues the maximum damages possible from careless drivers and their automobile insurance companies. We hope you will never need it, but we recommend a 10-point plan of action if you are involved in an auto accident.
Your 10-point plan of action
Follow this 10-point plan of action following an auto accident, truck accident or motorcycle accident:
- Call 911 for medical treatment — If you suspect that you or another person has sustained serious injuries, call 911 immediately.
- Seek medical treatment as soon as practicable — Because you may suffer severe injuries even in a seemingly minor collision, you should seek medical treatment as soon as possible after any auto accident.
- File a police report — A police report is an important neutral record that can support your claim with the insurance company and in the court of law.
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver — Make sure you have the other driver’s complete insurance information to collect damages if the other driver is found at fault.
- Take photos of the accident scene — Use your cell phone to take pictures of your car, the other driver’s car, skid marks, road conditions and other relevant evidence.
- Collect names and contact information of witnesses — Other drivers or pedestrians who witnessed the accident may be helpful in providing accurate information and possibly testifying at trial.
- Record the details of the accident —Write down the information as soon as you can while your memory of the incident is still fresh.
- Notify your insurance company — Report the accident to your insurance company right away to begin the process of filing your personal injury and property damages claims.
- Obtain an independent mechanic’s quote — In addition to providing proof of property damage, a detailed mechanic’s quote can be used to demonstrate the speed and angle of the cars as well as corroborate the extent of the injuries you suffered.
- Consult a personal injury lawyer — At your first meeting with Calwell Luce diTrapano PLLC, we can analyze the facts of your case, strategize our next steps and explore the possible outcomes.
Consult a Charleston attorney for guidance on next steps
For more information about what to do after an accident, call Calwell Luce diTrapano PLLC at 304.400.6558 or contact our law firm online to schedule an appointment.